Skip to main content

EATING YOUR CAKE...





The late author Harlan Ellison, a brilliant writer, friend and quasi-mentor of mine, was devoted to the proper use of language. As a writer and lover of the language he would often correct people who misspoke, those using words or phrases in the wrong way - usually involving his distaste for anyone using the word "like" as a pause, or "awesome" for anything that really, on the face of it, was not.

"The universe is awesome. The Grand Canyon is awesome," he would observe, "your cheeseburger is not."

And one of his biggest pet peeves was the phrase "Eat your cake and have it too." All too often it is reversed and people will be heard to say "Have your cake and eat it too."

Harlan would point out that there's really no trick to having a cake and then eating it. The real trick is to eat your cake and yet still have it. Hence "Eat your cake and have it too."

So. Why am I referencing this? What possible connection is there between Harlan's lighthearted jabbery and this blog?

I find myself in the unfortunate position, as both a spirits professional and admitted lover of consumption of the stuff, to be wanting to eat my cake and still have it.

In my line of work you run across a lot of collectors. People who buy bottles for the simple purpose of putting them on a shelf and knowing that they own a hard-to-find spirit such as Pappy's, Blanton's, Willet 6 year, Colonel EH Taylor, Weller's, or Henry McKenna 10. (And those are just the bourbons - and an incomplete list at that.)

We call those particular bottles "unicorns" to reference that they are hard to find and disappear quickly if seen.

In my case I purchase bottles to, at some point, consume them. I want to enjoy the liquid inside the bottle, not simply look at them on the shelf in admiration.

(I often tell people to disregard the advertising campaign, the label, the bottle and the price. If you like the liquid inside a bottle it doesn't matter whether it's a $5 bottle or a $500 bottle. If you dislike the contents, again it doesn't matter whether it's $5 or $500. More importantly, I see a lot of people purchasing alcohol based on advertising and social status rather than taste. Several very well-known brands are actually pretty poor representatives of their category, but they have advertising and social cues which tell consumers they're the "bee's knees.")

Examples of this include some of the bourbons I've bought and consumed over the last year or so. Two bottles of Henry McKenna 10 year. A bottle of Hancock Reserve. A bottle of Weller's. A bottle of Blanton's. And others. (Working in a liquor store has its advantages.)

In addition I have a bottle of rum from Cuba - obviously in short supply given the current American administration's aversion to the island. Havana Club 6 year. I bought two and last year consumed one of them over the course of some months.

But I've found myself adopting a "collector's" mentality on some things, and it's frustrating me. I want to drink my cake, and yet still have it under my cabinet. The bottles in question aren't really unicorns, other than the above-referenced Havana Club rum. I have a bottle of Clyde May's signed by his grandson at the Whiskey on the Rocks event in October. I have a bottle of Señor Rio tequila, partly consumed but I don't want to finish it off. A Grangestone bourbon double cask.

A bottle of Papa's Pilar rum. A bottle of Loch & Union barley gin.

All of them stunning examples of their categories, and ranking as my favorite brands. But the irony is I don't want to finish them off - I'd rather spend some cash and get other, lesser bottles of liquor for steady consumption.

Which, of course, flies in the face of my stated position that the liquid in the bottle is intended for consumption.

I know Harlan's response would be something along the lines of "oh, for fuck's sake, just drink 'em!" But I need to reconcile my philosophy of enjoying the flavors, with my desire to always have them in my cabinet.

And that, friends, means that I want to eat my cake and have it too.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE MARTINI AND THE WAITRESS

  My wife sometimes teases me when we go out for a nice dinner or meet friends at a local restaurant or bar. She can sense when my attention shifts a bit towards what’s going on at the bar, and she’s even caught me counting shakes of a cocktail tin when a bartender is mixing a drink.  (My personal rule for something like a martini is no more than four-six shakes, maybe four,  five  seconds. And not a vigorous shake either, the shake should be solid and not too violent. If the drink is more of a tiki style or something that you want aerated then knock yourself out. An aerated martini is an offense to nature.) So it’s a pleasure for me when I run into a kindred soul and we, as I put it, go all geeky with wine and spirits. The conversation is animated and frequently focused on sharing cool stuff. My second night on a recent business trip I encountered just such a person. A perfect vodka martini Before COVID I traveled with a fair amount of frequency. Business and pleasure. And for me one

THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS A WRONG ANSWER

I am reading Kevin Zraly's excellent wine education book Windows on the World Complete Wine Course . Despite the dense and dry title of the book it's a fast and fascinating read, all about wine from the different types to the impact it has on our senses. In fact, I've just finished the chapter dealing with the relationship between wine and our senses. In particular, taste and smell. In my line of work I am often asked for recommendations for wine, particularly with people who are just starting to explore their interest in it and may not yet have developed a full understanding or appreciation of their palate. I begin with a series of questions designed to help me find something the questioner will like. A lot of these questions have to do with the senses of smell and taste. "Are you drinking this by itself or with food?" "What kind of food are you serving it with," or "What kind of food do you like?" "Have you had any previous

The Royal Titans of Cocktail Culture

  The world is full of thousands of cocktails, likely even into the tens of thousands. I’m not talking about the nuances, such as vodka martinis with olives versus a lemon twist, I’m talking about basic solid standalone drinks with their own personalities and flavors. From Long Island Iced Teas to Screwdrivers, Black Russians, Daiquiris and more. Some are as individual as the bartender who created them, or as common as margaritas in Mexican restaurants. But as much as there are as many cocktails as there are bar menus, there are a few which are universal and classic. These are the drinks which, even if they’re not on a menu the bartender can make them. They’re the first things we learn and likely the most popular we serve. For purposes of sticking to cocktails, straight spirits sippers, neat or on the rocks, are omitted from consideration. These are all mixed drinks. Here are the top, imperial classic cocktails which stand atop mixology. In their own way they define their categories.